Important COVID-19 Update | Click Here to Learn More

How Can You Tell If Your Pet Was Poisoned?

How Can You Tell If Your Pet Was Poisoned?

How Can You Tell If Your Pet Was Poisoned?

Blog

How Can You Tell If Your Pet Was Poisoned?

Many foods, chemicals, plants, and toxins around the home can poison your pet. The common poisons are in the kitchen, bathroom, backyard, and other areas. Consuming human food can prove to be harmful to your pet. 

 

Regardless of the type of toxin that your pet may have ingested, it is important to identify signs of poisoning. Quick action can help save your pet's life. There are ways to tell if your pet took poison. 

 

Gastrointestinal Signs


 

The most common signs of poisoning are gastrointestinal. The signs include:

 

  • Diarrhea
     

  • Vomiting
     

  • Loss of appetite
     

  • Nausea
     

  • Extreme salivation
     

  • Dry heaving

     

The signs can indicate ingestion of different toxins. 

 

If you notice any of these, take your pet to the vet. The vet can begin emergency treatment. Trying to induce vomiting is not advisable when you do not know what the pet has taken.  

 

Signs of Internal Bleeding


 

Internal bleeding is a common symptom of poisoning. You can tell your pet is bleeding internally if the pet: 

 

  • Is vomiting or coughing up blood
     

  • Has pale gums
     

  • Is weak or lethargic
     

  • Has a racing heart
     

  • If it collapses or falls over

     

In case of any of these, you need to seek emergency vet care. 

 

Internal bleeding is usually a sign that the damage has reached a critical stage. Some pets have lost their lives soon after the detection of internal bleeding. 

 

Signs of Liver Failure


 

Liver failure is a sign of poisoning. Signs that your pet is suffering from liver failure include yellow gums, vomiting, and diarrhea. Your pet may also behave abnormally or may appear dull. 

 

Low blood sugar may cause your dog to collapse. Tarry stool (melena) can be a sign of liver failure. It is vital to visit a vet for critical care. It helps to know the source of the poison to help enable the right treatment decision.  

 

Signs of Kidney Failure 


 

Following the poisoning, your pet may experience kidney failure. An increase or a reduction in urination characterizes the condition. Other signs are an increase in thirst leading to excessive drinking and reduced appetite. 

 

Vomiting and diarrhea are also signs of kidney failure. You should avoid using home remedies if you do not know the root cause of the problem. Instead, take your pet to the vet immediately for life-saving treatment. 

 

Getting Emergency Care


 

If you suspect your pet may have taken poison, call your veterinarian. You can also call a phone hotline to get information on pet poisoning. Getting to the nearest emergency vet clinic as fast as possible is vital. It can increase the chances of your pet recovering from the poisoning. 

 

Treatment is specific to the toxin or poison ingested. In some cases, the vet may recommend that you induce vomiting. However, this is not the case in all situations. Medication can help the liver and kidney to process the poison, healing the organs.

 

Approximately one in every 100 pets that have taken poison end up dying. However, 25 percent of the poisoned pets will recover within two hours. The sooner you get treatment for your pet, the better. 


 

For more on how you can tell if your pet was poisoned, contact Highland Veterinary Clinic at our office in Evansville, Indiana. You can call 812-710-4300 today to schedule an appointment.